I need to consult a doctor

Can I consult a doctor?

You can consult doctors in the city (especially general practitioners), go to hospitals, healthcare centres, healthcare clinics or departments. Whatever your situation, you will be looked after. However, depending on your situation, you may have to cover the costs.

If you are a French speaker, you can make an appointment directly online at Doctolib or any other appointment platform of your choice. To help you use Doctolib, please consult the notice drawn up by the French Government. 

Do I have to pay to access treatment?

If you have been granted temporary protection, you are entitled to financial coverage of your treatments by presenting the certificate of benefits issued by the health insurance scheme (Assurance Maladie), which you will have received. With full coverage (universal health cover and solidarity complementary health insurance), treatment is fully covered.

If you have no coverage rights or incomplete cover, you may have to pay for some of the costs of the consultations.

To gain access to your benefits, we advise you to contact the Prefecture in your area of residence or accommodation, or the nearest health insurance fund (Caisse d’Assurance Maladie – CPAM). You can consult the directory of Prefectures and the directory of Health Insurance Funds.

In case of an emergency, you can go directly to a hospital where you will be treated free of charge, regardless of your administrative situation, whether you have your papers or not, under fully safe and confidential conditions.

Can I get free treatment? 

If you do not have any documents or medical coverage, there are facilities that allow you to access health care free of charge:

  • Hospitals will treat you free of charge if emergency treatment is required. However, if the treatment is not followed by hospitalisation, and in the absence of a mutual insurance company, a limited financial contribution may be requested; to find the nearest hospital, you can consult the directory of hospitals in France.

I need psychological support

I need support from a mental health professional

If you are feeling anxious, worried or depressed and feel the need to consult a mental health professional, you can make an appointment at a medical-psychological centre. You will be cared for under the same conditions as described in the section I need to consult a doctor.

Medical-psychological centres provide care in French. However, you can request professional interpreting to facilitate communication.

To find out more about accessing the centres, please consult the Government notice on how to access a medical-psychological centre.


I want to be vaccinated against Covid-19

Vaccination against Covid-19 is free of charge in France. You can go directly to one of the vaccination centres open in France or make an appointment online on Doctolib or any other digital platform of your choice.